Announcing ‘On Air LA Annex 2022’
Tuesday September 13, 2022
ON AIR FEST ANNOUNCES ‘ON AIR LA ANNEX 2022’ HEADLINERS FEATURING INTO IT’S SAM SANDERS, KCRW’S NOVENA CARMEL & ANTHONY VALADEZ, LA’S POET LAUREATE LYNNE THOMPSON, THE TEAM BEHIND WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE’S NEW AUDIBLE ORIGINAL, PATREON, VOX MEDIA PODCAST NETWORK & MORE. PLUS, BROOKLYN 2023 DATES REVEALED
Brooklyn, NY (September 13, 2022) In a highly anticipated announcement, On Air Fest –the preeminent event for audio storytelling– reveals details for On Air LA Annex 2022, the three-day event celebrating Los Angeles’ storytelling scene.
On Air LA Annex presents unforgettable performances, live tapings, and conversations from the artists and storytellers who are defining this moment in audio. Events will unfold across multiple venues throughout the city including KCRW in Santa Monica, dublab and Dynasty Typewriter.
Described as the “Sundance of Audio” On Air Fest is best known for annually convening top tier creative podcast talent and industry notables [think Ira Glass, Roxane Gay, Talib Kweli, Jenny Slate and more] for a weekend-long takeover of Williamsburg’s Wythe Hotel. This announcement marks a distinct moment of expansion with bicoastal events punctuating the cultural calendar.
This fall, On Air Fest will be taking it’s show to West Coast audiophiles in partnership with KCRW in Santa Monica. The three-day event will kick off Thur Nov 3rd with Hot Pod Summit, the exclusive business summit hosted by Hot Pod’s Lead Reporter Ariel Shapiro, and co-presented by The Verge. Following the Summit, On Air Fest will present two enchanting evenings of cultural programming Nov 3rd and 4th ranging from live tapings to intimate conversations, performances and listening parties all at KCRW. On Saturday Nov 5th, the festival will kick off On Air Open House, a day of free programming devoted to the LA creator community hosted at dublab and powered by Patreon. The festival concludes with an evening of live comedy podcasts at the acclaimed comedy hub, Dynasty Typewriter.
“On Air Fest continues to create a place for storytellers who are turning podcasts into an art form.” says festival Founder, Scott Newman. “We’re thrilled to join KCRW and our partners in LA who are changing how we listen.”
Alongside the LA Annex, On Air Fest reveals the dates for its 2023 flagship festival taking place February 23-25 at Wythe Hotel. The event draws thousands of audio creators, fans and industry leaders each year for a sold-out weekend of sound and storytelling.
On Air LA Annex 2022 programming includes:
- The festival kicks off with the return of the Hot Pod Summit, the invitation-only podcast industry gathering, hosted by Ariel Shapiro, lead reporter of Hot Pod, the arbiter of all things audio, and co-organized by The Verge. Set against the backdrop of midterm elections and taking place in the nation’s entertainment capital, this Summit will feature timely conversations on political coverage, IP, the podcast to studio pipeline and more.
- On Air LA Annex evening programming opens at KCRW HQ in Santa Monica and features reigning king of pop culture Sam Sanders (Into It from Vulture) with KCRW’s own Novena Carmel and Anthony Valadez (Morning Becomes Eclectic)
- Exclusive First-Listen: Night Vale Presents Unlicensed Live
From the creators of Welcome to Night Vale comes Unlicensed, a new scripted detective noir. In the outskirts of Los Angeles, where the cul-de-sacs and strip malls sprawl into the desert, two unlicensed private investigators scrape by on whatever small cases come their way. But when a teenage girl pleads for them to take the strangest case of their career, this unlikely pair, with no resources and no back-up, will follow a trail of seemingly unconnected cases, which will lead them to a ransom, a murder, a mysterious wellness center, and a conspiracy that might go all the way to the governor. Join the cast for an exclusive live performance of the new Audible Original podcast followed by a talkback with Jeffrey Cranor and Joseph Fink to discuss the first new audio series they’ve created together since Welcome to Night Vale. Additional participants to be announced.
- Poetry from Los Angeles Poet Laureate Lynne Thompson presented by the LA Public Library
- Join us for the first-ever On Air Open House @ dublab powered by Patreon. This free & open-to-all event brings together audio makers, storytellers, podcasters and friends of the fest for a day that’s all about LA’s creative community. Happening at the brand new dublab warehouse, this event features on-the-hour DJ sets, food from our favorite chefs, exclusive podcast merch, live tapings, performances & more
- An evening of live comedy podcasts all at the acclaimed hub of alternative comedy, Dynasty Typewriter
- & more to be announced
WHO: On Air Fest in partnership with KCRW, Hot Pod & dublab
WHEN: November 3-5, 2022
WHERE: KCRW (1660 Stewart Street, Santa Monica, California)
dublab (1035 West 24th Street, Los Angeles, California)
Dynasty Typewriter (2511 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057)
Select events will be live-streamed
WHY: A gathering place where audio makers, artists, storytellers, podcasters and listeners are inspired by the art of sound.
MORE INFO: onairfest.com
Program Partners & Sponsors include: Audible, Patreon, KCRW, Vox Media Podcast Network, The Verge, Hot Pod, LA Public Library, Inkling, dublab and Dynasty Typewriter
PRODUCED BY WORK X WORK
work x work is a full-service creative agency amplifying the world’s leading brands through storytelling, design, and experiences. Our innovative work has made us the go-to agency for organizations looking to participate in audio culture. In addition to design, strategy and events, we create multi-channel campaigns, original content and produce podcasting’s premier cultural event, On Air Fest.
HOSTED BY KCRW
KCRW is your always-on connection to music, news, culture, and each other — on the radio, online, and in-person. We belong to Los Angeles, connecting diverse perspectives and the sounds of Southern California with curious communities around the corner and around the world.
HOSTED BY DUBLAB
dublab cultivates and supports local cultural ecosystems worldwide. Through community-generated radio, dublab promotes curiosity, experimentation, inclusivity, and connection. dublab is a platform for discovery and the cultivation of next-wave music, arts and culture. dublab.com